Monday, August 10, 2015

Tanisha's Final Blog

Well gang the final blog has come! We've made it through a summer of Fluid Power and Research. This summer has by far been the most educational and resourceful summer yet. I never knew the impact research could have, not to mention I really used to believe it was just a bunch of reading and concluding (which is true) not realizing there was an application and hands on element to the madness. Allow me to thank the CCEFP for this REU experience, as well as my faculty and graduate advisors. I'm going to try to make my response to the prompt as short as possible to summarize my summer.

In short, this summer, I was tasked with understanding and applying the User-Centered Design (UCD) Process of human factors engineering. I specifically engaged in the analysis and design phase of the process in order to capture the user in the development of technology. In simpler terms it sucks when you get a birthday gift that the giver would have purchased themselves, but you have no use for it. When someone asks you what you would like and then they actually deliver on that, it means so much more to you and is utilized effectively. Well this is what goes on with the UCD Process. Unfortunately, time did not permit for me to fully implement and validate the design of the system I worked with. In the future I hope to be able to be a part of that process. 

In terms of advise for a new REU, I would say don't be afraid of your own potential to grow and keep an open mind. There is much to learn from the research experience however, you must maintain a teachable spirit that takes critique well. I hope this helps someone along their journey. I said I was going to keep it brief so I will close with well wishes for everyone in the coming semester! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment