Thursday, June 25, 2015

Tanisha Week 3 Blog on Research Culture and Environment

WEEK 3 BLOG TOPIC:   Your Thoughts: Research Culture and Environment
Every one of you will have unique and individual experience when it comes to the research environment and culture you've been invited to join this summer.  Faculty, even institutions, have their own identity and way of conducting research, and not one works the same as another.  What is your impression of the research environment, in contrast to what you may have been expecting?  Have you discovered something about working in a research laboratory (or other) that surprised you, something you didn't expect?  What has been positive from the research environment, what has been less positive?  Pray tell!

Greetings & salutations to all! I'm a tad bit late on blog 3 but accounted for nonetheless. In response to the prompt regarding the environment I research in, I would say the lab I work in is comfortable and easy going. Because I am the only student assigned to the graduate I work under, I am able to glean from everyday one on one interactions. I've also been an undergraduate research student since the start of the spring 2015 semester, thusly, I am not in a new environment. Nonetheless there was certainly a transition from 10 hours a week to 40 hours. I am one that typically has a short attention span so that part has been difficult but hopefully by the end of it all I will at least be able to sit still for more than 2 hours at a time while reading and or writing. One of the things that helps me to get refocused is changing the environment I'm in. Some days I may take my laptop outside while I am reading and writing to get some sun and fresh air. I will certainly say I am enjoying the experience in preparation for my graduate endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment