Monday, June 8, 2015

Week 2 by Feargus M.

Wow, I cannot believe a week has already passed. It feels like it was only seven days ago I was writing my first blog post. In my first week here I spent some time getting to know the UIUC campus which is about the size of a small city. It seems like you could travel for miles and not leave campus. Fortunately I have memorized the route between my room and my lab; next on my list of places to learn how to get to is the grocery store. 

I spent a lot of time this week learning about the equipment I will be using for the summer. Ironically, it seems that the experiment I will be conducting actually don't really have much to do with fluid power. My adviser and I will be testing different Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids to try and optimize surface textures to reduce friction between sliding surfaces. So yes, my research has applications in fluid power, but alas, it seems my experience with actual pumps will have only been at the bootcamp. I have included a picture of the machine and set-up that dominate my summer research. I look forward to learning a lot about this topic and working with simulations as well as seeing more lightning and rain - a rare event in California but apparently a common one in Champaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment