Friday, June 12, 2015

Week 2

These first two weeks at MSOE have been really great. The first week primarily consisted of getting accustomed to a new environment, meeting new people, and learning about my research project. As Sarah mentioned previously, it has been really interesting to see how the non-CCEFP participants' projects relate to fluid power.

When coming into the program, my project was not fully defined, but I now have a more solid understanding of what I will be working with this summer. The point of my project is to gather various fuel samples and determine the biodiesel, water, and particle content in the fuels. At first, it wasn't apparent how this dealt with hydraulics. It turns out that biodiesel is a high pressure fluid, like hydraulic fluid. Therefore, the principles of hydraulics apply to diesel applications because modern diesel systems use a common rail system that generates very high pressure conditions. As I progress forward with my work, it will be really interesting to see how this fuel relates with hydraulic applications.

No comments:

Post a Comment